Policy Statement - Legal Aid and Access to Justice Policy Principles
13 November 2008
The Law Council of Australia has delveloped a Policy Statement on Legal Aid and Access to Justice Policy Principles. The policy principles are outlined below:
- Development and adoption by the Commonwealth of a mechanism to break down the Commonwealth/State funding divide.
- Creation and adoption by the Commonwealth of a national means test.
- Increased fees for private practitioners undertaking legal aid work.
- Incentives for lawyers to practice in rural, regional and remote areas.
- Increased funding for Community Legal Centres (CLCs).
- Increased funding for dedicated indigenous legal services.
- National civil legal aid program.